Justin P. Walder has amassed a wealth of legal knowledge from a variety of perspectives and continues to rack up legal accolades and accomplishments. Justin particularly enjoys litigating cases involving novel or complex questions of law, and recently represented a judge of the New Jersey Superior Court in a successful challenge as to the constitutionality of increases of pension and health care costs for judges and justices of New Jersey. He has been a leading advocate as to the importance of an independent judiciary.
Justin has served as New Jersey State Deputy Attorney General, as Assistant Essex County Prosecutor in charge of business fraud and economic crimes, and, nearly thirty years ago, co-founded the firm known today as Walder Hayden. For over twenty-five years, Justin has consistently been recognized in the Best Lawyers in America publication. In 2013, he was selected, based on peer review, as the Lawyer of the Year for White Collar Criminal Defense in the Newark metropolitan area. Best Lawyers of America most recently selected him in the area of Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law. In 2009, Justin was selected as the Top-Ranked Lawyer in New Jersey by New Jersey Super Lawyers; this recognition was based on peer review and professional achievement. He continues to be recognized by Super Lawyers as one of the top lawyers in New Jersey. In 2011, Justin was selected as Lawyer of the Year by the New Jersey Law Journal, and was the recipient in 2011 of the Rutgers University School of Law-Newark's annual Distinguished Alumnus Award.
In addition to his active litigation practice, Justin has served as Designated Special Counsel to the New Jersey Supreme Court and as Counsel to the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts. He passes his legal knowledge on to others through service as an Adjunct Professor at Rutgers University School of Law and as an instructor for the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education. He has been a Master and Lecturer for the New Jersey Inns of Court, a faculty member of the New Jersey Judicial College. He is an Associate Editor of the New Jersey Law Journal.
Justin believes strongly in service to the legal community. He has served in a number of capacities, including, among others, as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Commission on Rules of Professional Conduct; as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Board on Trial Attorney Certification; and as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Fee Arbitration.
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Complex Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Attorney Ethics
- Defense Legal Malpractice
- Internal Investigations
- Appellate Practice
- Rutgers University Law School, J.D.
- Seton Hall University, B.S.
Admissions to Practice
- New Jersey
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Second and Third Circuits
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Co-Chair, New Jersey Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Board of Trustees 2013, Moderator, CLE Seminar on "How to Handle High Profile Cases and the Media;"
- Essex County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America (Member, State Committee)
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (Member, Board of Governors)
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, past President
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- New Jersey Supreme Court Commission, Rules of Professional Conduct
- New Jersey Supreme Court Board on Trial Attorney Certification
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Fee Arbitration
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Court Reporters/ Sound Recording
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Commercial Filming in Court Facilities
- New Jersey Supreme Court Criminal Practice Committee
- New Jersey Supreme Court Ad Hoc Committee On Jury Selection
- Member, Panel Selection and Management Criminal Justice Act Plan
- Member, Lawyers Advisory Committee, United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- Member, Civil Justice Expense and Delay Reduction Advisory Committee
- Designated Special Master by United States District Court Re: Prudential Insurance Company of America Sales Practices Litigation
- Designated as Discovery Master by the Superior Court in Environmental and Complex Corporate Litigation
- Designated Special Agent, Provisional Director and Discovery Master by the Superior Court, Chancery Division
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Public Member, Seton Hall Law School Dean Search Committee
- Board of Visitors Seton Hall Law School
- Dean's Advisory Council, Rutgers School of Law-Newark
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Committee, Reinstatement of Attorneys
- Member, Essex County Court Advisory Committee
- Member, Essex County Judicial and Prosecutor Appointments Committee
- Member, Steering Committee, Essex County Criminal Reorganization Program
- Moderator, Media, Bench Bar Dialogue: "Media Coverage of Criminal Cases;"
- Member, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
Recent Honors and Distinctions
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating*
- Selected by Best Lawyers in America, based on peer review, as the 2013 Lawyer of the Year in the metropolitan area for White Collar Criminal Defense*
- Recognized in 2013 Best Lawyers in America for Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law*
- Consistently recognized in Best Lawyers in America for over two decades*
- 2011 Lawyer of the Year, New Jersey Law Journal
- 2011 Distinguished Alumnus Award, Rutgers School of Law-Newark Alumni Association
- Designated as one of New Jersey's Top Attorneys in "New Jersey Super Lawyers," 2008 to 2014*
- "Top Point Getter," New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2009; "Second Top Point Getter," New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2008*
- Trial Attorney of the Year, Essex County Bar Association
- Honorable Lawrence A. Whipple Memorial Award, Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Justice William J. Brennan, Jr. Award, Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey
*For selection methodology, see BestLawyers.com, SuperLawyers.com and Martindale.com. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of NJ.